Howard Carter’s first Home in Luxor.
Towards the end of 1899, Howard Carter was offered a post with the `Service de Anitquités de l´Égypte`as a Chief Inspector of antiquities for Upper Egypt.
He was based on the west bank of Luxor in a house close to Medinet Habu, very conveniently situated for carrying out excavations of his own in the Theban Necropolis, ánd for closely supervising the work of Theodore Davis and others in the valley of the kings.
In the b-w photograph above, Howard Carter, sitting with Mr. Cole on the Steps of `Castle Carter`, his inspectorate house, holds the reins of his horse Sultan, through whose agency he discovered the subterranean chamber containing the seated statue of Nebhepetre Mentuhotep.
Also visible in the photograph is one of Howard Carter’s pet gazelles.
(Source Howard Carter before Tutankhamun)
In 2006, Howard Carter’s house was renovated by the American Research Center in Egypt. (A.R.C.E.). Its original destination was to become a training center for Inspectors, but today it is inhabited.
Further research on the history of this house is pending. Any information would be welcome and can be sent to us, using our contact form, preferably in plain text (Notepad or similar), please also state your source(s).
Status of historical research: Ongoing
Status of article: Open